I have finally made it to the mission field. Our mission president, President Chan and his wife greeted my gruop of missionaries at the airport. They watch over the mission and direct the efforts being made to reach out to others. Hong Kong is pretty incredible because while it has such a modern look and feel to it, the atmosphere and people is still extremely jaded. On our first day we went to Victoria Park and saw the skyline view of Hong Kong. Google has a picture I am sure. As far as teaching goes, people really just want to be left alone. It is hard to see so many people miss truth that is so close to their hearts, literally and figuratively. But I know all people will have the opportunity to hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ. My companion is Elder Swallow from West Point, Utah. He has been training me and helping with the language. We live with two Mandarin speaking missionaries. We have had the opportunity to teach one English class and do a lot of street contacting. We try to be direct in our contacting so as to get people to focus less on what they are doing and then to introduce our message. I essentially learn Cantonese in this process by speaking it, I just have to get comfortable starting conversations.
I will share one experience to close my update. My companion and I were trying to find people to teach, walking around, and we weren't having much success. So we decided to sit down and pray. So I prayed and asked Heavenly Father to help us find someone to teach. It wasn't 20 second after that prayer ended that a man came up to us and asked about the Church and wanted to meet with us. He has 7 children. My companion said sucha n event has never happened in his 18 months of service. I think it is a testimony that God is mindful of all His children and does in fact answer our prayers. I know that Jesus Christ lives and restored His church through the prophet Joseph Smith. Anyone who reads the Book of Mormon and asks God if it si true can gain the same witness. I am enjoying the work, despite its difficulties and look forward to future stories I might share.
Love,
Elder Hah
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment