Hello Friends,
The summer has been drawing to a close now. I have spent this time still in service to the Filipina Sisters here in Hong Kong. It is a tough situation they are in. It has been a great blessing though to help these people learn about the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. Their tough situation requires a strong faith in God. I have continuously been finding and teaching people. Several have entered the waters of baptism and covenanted with God to keep His commandments. It is wonderful to watch. My companion right now is Elder Reber from Springville, Utah. He used to play rugby and is a really good guy. I can share a couple of experiences we have had together.
First, an Irish man who had been drinking came into the chapel one evening and started talking with different sets of missionaries. He would talk about many things and would offer up profane words at several points in the discussions. He did not want to learn, just argue, and blaspheme against God. We gave him the hint that he needed to leave; I was extremely tense through the whole situation, but after some time he finally did leave. Pride is an enemy to all righteousness.
Second, a Filipino murdered several Hong Kong tourists in the Philippines. As a result, several Filipinas lost their jobs in Hong Kong or were scared to go out of their houses on their holiday. There was a protest nearby recently. Several people we have been teaching were affected by this situation. As a missionary, you automatically stand out. Because I help woman, primarily, learn about the Gospel, I stand out even more; and when you are surrounded by Chinese people during this tense situation you can draw many stares and life can be very interesting. But, I have enjoyed the work. I continue to learn and hope that I can remain worthy of the Holy Spirit.
Well, I have almost lived in Hong Kong for one year. I have 10 months until I am home, and so I hope I can continue to help more people whether that is in English or Chinese, come unto Christ. I am still a normal person, but I enjoy doing good, and feeling like I am doing right. Life is good, and I hope each of you are doing well.
Sincerely,
Elder Hawkins
Thursday, September 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment