Summer in Hong Kong is hot and sticky; fortunately I have air conditioning for at least half the day. I continue to help Filipinas learn about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is a great opportunity to learn. I recognize I am not the best teacher, but I have many chances to improve the way I teach so as to allow the Spirit the greatest opportunity to testify of the truthfulness of this message. I know the Hoy Spirit is central to conversion. I cannot convert someone. I t has been wonderful to watch two Filipinas receive baptism. When a person receives baptism they promise to keep the commandments of God. As a result they are cleansed from all sins, having already repented of those sins. In order for an individual to return to live with Heavenly Father, they must be baptized. As I watched these baptisms, I felt the peace that comes with righteous living. These sisters have felt the love of Heavenly Father in greater abundance. I continue to learn and grow; I love to watch and experience Hong Kong. The city and people are amazing. It is fun to try and speak Chinese and I am learning more Chinese characters. I have watched Economics in motion as human behavior is defined by government-supported systems of control as well as various incentives. For example, watching public transportation carry thousands every hour all around to and from work. I have been able to listen, speak with, and shake hands with, a prophet of God. President Uchtdorf was in Hong Kong. I can only offer it as my testimony that the true church of Jesus Christ has been restored and it is going forth boldly, nobly, and independent. I can see the light the Gospel brings, and I have seen how so many Chinese people are searching for that light. If we honestly and sincerely search for the truth, we will find it. I am enjoying the experience. I am learning a lot about myself and the world. I met a Chinese man who had graduated from University of Chicago. He was really nice; but I sensed that my experiences now are shaping the foundation from which I will build my life. It is good. I hope all is well with those who ready my words.
Best wishes,
Elder Hawkins
Wednesday, August 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment